Saturday, July 11, 2020

 ...Performance Piece (aka “The Cum Shot”)...

I’m kinda’ nervous ya know, 
cause it’s like     my first time. 
I mean, we’ve only just met. 
But no… like, I have heard of her. 
feel like I should 
know her quite intimately. 
Then again, 
a lot of guys might say that. 

So anyway, she’s naked already. 
She’s sitting on the edge of the bed 
reading a magazine and for all I know, 
she may have been sitting there for hours. 
I begin to take my clothes off and 
not once does she look up from her reading. 
   Not once. 
I suppose I should be sorta’ relieved as 
I’m not always relaxed at 
moments of intimacy. 

Of course there’s the moment 
where you’d hope the lights would dim, 
but in this case they get brighter instead. 
Soon the entire bed is bathed in golden light. 
A bank of even further intensive lights 
switch on from the far side of the bed and 
the barrage of backlighting 
gives her head an angelic halo. 
Remove the magazine, 
give her a child, and
she’d surely be 
a madonna. 

What with all the extra light, 
I am now made totally aware 
   of all the others.  
No, we are certainly not alone. 
It’s not that anybody is truly gawking at me. 
If it’s possible, they 
actually look somewhat bored. 
Though I’m standing there naked, 
It is almost as if they’re 
gazing straight through me. 
“Hmmm,” they seem to say, 
“that picture on the far wall is crooked.” 

The director appears with his 
gynecologically enlightened entourage 
and I am presently ushered over to the bed.
When I get there, 
an assistant steps forward 
to relieve the only other 
naked person in the room 
of her reading material. 

The director gives us a quick idea of 
the dialog he expects from us, 
then goes to point out 
that it really doesn’t matter. 
We can say whatever we want 
as long as we don’t deviate too far 
from the joint activity at hand. 
I couldn’t say, 
go off on a tangent and 
start talking about fly fishing, 
that is, unless I could 
somehow tie it all back 
to the fishless activity at hand. 

The director yells “play ball!” 
but I don’t catch what he’s saying. 
I mean in my drama class 
they said the proper accepted verbiage is 
“take one,” or even, 
   “roll’em.” 
I’m not really sure I’ve got 
the proper background for all this. 

I pause to express 
my concerns to the director 
but both he and the 
fine thespian on the bed 
roll their eyes in unison. 
The director lets out a long sigh, 
then commences a short lecture 
about how un-important it is to 
fuss over verbal directive semantics. 
He then rather amazingly ties in my 
proposed subject of fly fishing by 
stating that the only thing 
that really matters is my tackle. 

Though I continue 
to pause production 
asking the director 
what my motivation is
for each line uttered, 
we move through the dialog fairly fast. 
You know, I am 
a professional after all.

It’s at this point we are 
forced to move on to the action stuff. 
To be honest, 
I’ve never felt confident 
with my physical acting. 
I’d much rather convey emotion 
through voice inflection 
and play of words. 
I just don’t feel 
my body movements 
are expressive enough. 

Of course with the film rolling, 
there’s the part where 
I commence all this 
vigorous thrusting. 
I mean, you kind of expect that 
in this film genre, but
what  I’ve come to question at this point 
is what is it my character is trying to say 
via his over enthusiastic display of libido? 
Does he respect her? 
Does she respect him?

Any meaningful dialog has 
pretty much gone out the window by now. 
My co-actor has begun to throw out some 
pretty impressive guttural improvisations 
and my goodness, 
the facial expressions she’s capable of! 
Not to be outdone, 
I counter with a few of my own, 
and just at the moment 
it occurs that I might ad lib 
a few lines from ‘Death of a Salesman’. 
And lo but the most 
embarrassing thing happens. 

I’m sure that all you actors out there 
know that the most important piece 
of film footage in this type of 
celluloid magic is the ‘money shot’. 
The Money Shot. 
You know… 
That little bit where
you deliver your payload. 

I mean… 
Damned if I didn’t 
blow that completely.
I mean really blow it. 

The no stopping and 
“Hey,-do-you-mind-if-we-
do-a-retake-on-that-one?”
   version of ‘blow it’. 

Oh, and of course my co-actor 
lets everyone know this instantly. 
I apologize profusely
but am drowned out by
an avalanche of caustic ridicule. 

You know, 
this wouldn’t have happened 
if I hadn’t been thinking 
about Willy Loman. 
I should never, 
ever have left the theater. 
                                                                   
Ó03 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: