Tuesday, July 07, 2020

   ...Homo Domestic Canis...

The stray-dog eyes me with caution, 
yet his gaze belies indifference. 
I exist for this canine malcontent, 
but not as man’s best friend. 
He does not care to know me 
and prefers said status quo. 

We are totally different species, 
connected by a significant history, 
and yet both of us hold a 
mutual understanding 
that he will never sit 
before the fire’s hearth 
with head resting upon my foot. 

No, this is no cultured canine.  
Certainly not domesticated. 
To him, I manifest as nothing special—
nothing to be revered nor respected

I am not man, nay God’s chosen. 
If he is mere canis familiaris, 
then I am equally mere homo sapiens. 
Two mutually insignificant species 
who just now happen to share 
this common expanse of asphalt. 

So what is it about this dog 
that makes him different 
from the status quo? 
Could it be he’s 
achieved self-esteem? 
A self-esteem contrary to 
the entire human race?

The breaking of a dog entails 
the never allowing them to 
go beyond puppy stage. 
He and his brethren will 
never achieve alpha-male status 
for the fact that we, 
the race of man
hold the role of alpha-male. 

And yet, here, now, 
on this one particular street, 
with this one particular dog, 
I     have met my equal. 
And what does this say 
about me, to be equal 
to a common cur? 

I stare at him 
and there reflected 
in his opaque eyes, 
I know that deeper within him 
lies a malcontent 
far darker than any 
I will ever achieve. 
No. Not even I 
qualify as his equal.

I’ve climbed the vine of mankind 
to achieve not homo sapiens, 
but mere homo domestic. 
And if I am nothing but 
   homo domestic, 
just who is the feral man 
equivalent to this dog? 
What man stands worthy 
to act as his counter-part?

Charlie Manson stands 
emaciated and withered behind 
those cage doors of his making, 
and I have to ask, 
was this the best feral 
we’d ever hope to achieve?

Ah… no wonder 
this one stray dog 
holds nothing but contempt 
for not only me, but 
mankind as a whole. 

And I? 
I here held this 
one moment to shine, 
but ever remain 
homo 
domestic 
canis.

Ó03 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: