Friday, July 10, 2020

  ...My Wife is a Ghost...

My wife is a ghost. 
Yes, a ghost, and 
this is doubly strange 
since at this moment 
she’s still alive. 

Now, to be honest, 
I’ve never seen my wife as a ghost, 
but then again, 
there are times when I’ve 
passed her in the hallway 
and she may just have been the 
“as ghost” variation. 

Okay…    Okay… 
The confused look on your face 
says you need more information. 
I guess there’s really only 
one person out there who, 
as of this current date, 
has absolutely seen 
my wife the ghost. 

This acquaintance from my wife’s past 
is a woman of questionable mental health. 
Oh, and being of 
questionable mental health, 
how is it that she can discern 
that the figure that passes her 
in her own dark hall 
is not my wife but 
the ghost of my wife? 

Is there some etiquette 
whereby a ghost is required 
to produce a faint glow 
or some element of translucency? 

Apparently my wife is 
only one of a group of individuals 
who haunt this woman, and 
all but one of these ghosts are alive. 
The one individual actually dead 
is an ex-husband whom this woman 
supposedly drove to suicide by hanging. 
So yea, it somehow seems appropriate 
   that he haunt her. 
Yes, he should, 
but my wife? 

Now supposedly, other than my wife 
all these ghosts constantly 
chastise this woman. 
The only malicious activity 
my ghost wife participates in 
is to periodically steal items off 
her car in the communal parking lot. 
I guess this is pretty tame compared to 
the verbal harassment she receives 
from family member ghosts. 

My non-ghost wife periodically receives 
phone calls from this woman 
whereby she makes reference 
to conversations had 
with my ghost wife. 

Of course my wife gets perturbed 
and her friend gets doubly perturbed 
at my wife’s inability to remember 
their previous conversations 
in the ether world. 

So just how does my wife appear 
in apparition form? 
What clothes does she wear? 
Most ghosts express a little attitude 
for having to be dead, but 
when you’re still alive 
I’m sure it’s considered 
a bit gauche to act pissed. 
“What you moanin’ 
and groanin’ bout. 
You still alive!” 

So anyway, I’m sorta curious 
as to how my wife acts in 
the supposed realm of ghostdom. 
Is she polite? 
Does she pick up after this woman 
the way she picks up after me? 
During a perfectly normal conversation, 
is she compelled to stop periodically 
and let out a loud unnerving cackle? 

If my wife is predisposed to haunting, 
is there anyone else out there 
she’s currently visiting every night? 
Should I forgive my real wife 
her quiet moods for the fact 
she’s just got back from 
haunting someone and is 
just plain screeched out? 

Of course the flip side to all this 
is that it could just be that 
this woman may be insane. 
Yep, absolutely nuts. 

I know this because 
my wife just told me. 
She’s here right now, 
standing in front of me. 

“What’s that dear? 
No, you don’t have to move. 
Everyone can still see me. 
You’re fairly transparent 
tonight.” 

Ó03 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: