Saturday, July 04, 2020

   ...Herman’s Dilemma...

They’ve been sitting there 
for some time now. 
Just sitting. 
Nothing’s been said. 
Time passing…
Evaporating without notice. 
Two old men in quiet contemplation. 

I myself have noted 
the long extended silence 
since their last words. 
Then again, I’m just here 
working on machinery. 
It’s an old folks home, 
and just passing through, 
I’m still conscious of the 
time between this and that; 
   here and there. 

They on the other hand, 
no longer possess this and that… 
They have no time 
between here and there. 
When you reach their age, 
time falls away to infinity. 
The long slow glide to darkness. 

So what does it matter to them? 
What matter of time? 
What time? 

I’ve overheard that 
the one in the wheelchair 
is 107 years old. 
107 years compared to a 
ten minute lapse in conversation. 
Yes, the two of them have 
sat there in quiet communion for…
It’s a period of time which to me, 
   seems ages, 
and just when I feel 
they’re about to dissolve 
into mutual obscurity, 
the ancient one speaks. 

Yes, with a clear distinct voice 
he utters, 
“I guess something happened… 
You and I just didn’t catch on. 
We just didn’t catch on.” 

Kinda sad it took him 107 years 
to come to the sudden epiphany 
so many of us have known all along. 
Perhaps it’s sadder that 
we got there far too soon. 
107 years of blissful ignorance 
and I envy him. 

A day passes. 
A full 24 plus hours 
since I last saw Herman. 
He’s now 107 years old, 
plus one extra day. 
24 hours ago I was working on 
this exact same machine. 
24 hours ago, Herman was 
sitting in the exact same spot, 
with the exact same companion. 
During this 24 hour period, 
I’ve finished one day’s work, 
driven home to spend 
the evening with my wife, 
shared her bed, 
risen to return to work 
and proceed through a day of activity 
which has brought me here, 
once again to kneel on the floor 
a short distance away from a 
   107 year old man. 

Throughout this 24 hour period, 
I’ve found myself pondering 
what Herman has been doing. 
What portion of this one day’s passing 
has he spent sitting as he 
does at this moment? 
I want to hear his voice. 
I want to hear what a 107 year 
plus one day old man has to say. 

Some twenty odd minutes of silence passes, 
and just when I’m certain I’ll be treated 
with no further epiphanies, 
Herman puts forth 
a question to his companion. 
“What are we doing in here?”

It is a question of directness 
that startles not only his companion, 
but myself as well. 
He asks again and 
there is an element of anger 
mixed with confusion.
“What the hell are we doing in here?” 

His younger yet still ancient partner 
makes a face conveying his initial inability 
to comprehend what Herman has asked. 

Again he raises his voice, 
“What are we doing in here?!” 
His friend does his best to ponder this 
but his only response is a muffled 
“I don’t know.”

“Well, what are we doing in here?”
This time Herman’s friend manages 
to focus on the question 
and musters a return question 
to clarify their dilemma. 
“What’s your job?”

This startles Herman. 
Indeed, his confusion doubles. 
“Well I don’t know. 
What is my job? 
Do you know?”
“No,” responds the less ancient one.
“I don’t know what my job is either.” 

Herman’s not listening to him now. 
He’s been given yet 
another problem to solve. 
“What’s my job? 
Nobody told me what my job was!”

There’s a short pause of quiet, 
and then his voice rises again. 
“What are we doing in here?
Huh? Who put us in here?” 

It occurs to Herman his friend 
isn’t going to be of much help. 
He needs to find someone 
who has answers. 
He turns about in his wheelchair 
and heads to the nurse’s station 
where I am working. 

Soon, I see him pass around 
the end of the counter. 
“Hey! Hey you!” he bellows at me, 
“Hey! Who put me in here? 
What the hell is going on!” 
I am dumbfounded as to how to respond, 
but before I am truly put on the spot, 
a nurse, familiar with Herman, 
steps forward to save me. 
She kneels down on the floor 
and takes Herman’s hands in hers. 

“Herman,” she states in a soothing manner, 
“What’s the matter?” 

A disturbed look comes over Herman’s face. 
He knows this woman but, 
   doesn’t know her. 
“Who put me in here?!” 

The nurse squeezes Herman’s hands 
ever so gently and gazes 
directly into his moist eyes. 
With this, his eyes wander off 
to the ground at the wheelchair’s side. 

“Herman,” she says calmly, 
“Linda put you in here.”
“Linda?” he responds. 
“Who’s Linda? 
Where is she?” 

Linda’s your granddaughter. 
She’s over in Iowa. 
You have to stay here ‘til the harvest is over.” 

Herman tilts his head, “The Harvest?”
“Yes Herman, you have 
to stay here ‘til it’s over.” 

She rises to return to her desk 
and after a quiet period, 
Herman spins his wheelchair about 
and heads back over to 
his friend at the sunlit window. 

Before he’s even there, 
Herman starts to bellow again. 
“Hey!   Hey Linda put us in here!” 
His friend’s expression actually 
bristles at this news as I’m pretty sure 
he doesn’t know any particular Linda. 

“She did? 
Well I be damned.”
“Yea,” continues Herman, 
“We have to stay here 
until the harvest is over.”

His friend is truly bewildered now. 
“Well when’s that?” 
“I don’t know, continues Herman, 
“but we have to stay here until it’s over.”
There’s a short pause as both of them 
slowly shake their heads.

Just then yet another dilemma 
   occurs to Herman. 
He cranes his head over at his friend 
and states,  
“I wonder if they’re gonna feed us ‘til then.” 

With this, the conversation 
dies away to silence 
and fiddling with my work, 
I pause to glance one last time 
at the nodding head 
of a 107 year old man. 

Yes, I figure it’s a shoe-in Herman 
will make it to harvest. 
Then again, 
I’m fairly assured that 
everyone here at the home 
will make it to the ultimate harvest. 

Some sooner than others. 

Ó03 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: