Thursday, July 09, 2020

  ...We Immortal...

When young, 
I was immortal. 
I simply could not die. 
But, as each day came to pass, 
this quality came to lessen. 

Yes, it’s rather odd 
how the aspect of aging 
saps immortality. 
At the age I am now, 
I am far more mortal 
than immortal. 
Oh, and I should here point out 
that this has less to do with 
the concept of physical aging 
and far more to do 
with the mental. 

There are some who believe 
that immortality 
is inversely proportional 
to maturity. 
That morally mature 
equals maturely mortal. 

Now I don’t think 
one necessarily need be stupid 
to be immortal, but it does help. 

No, I think it’s 
rather a frame of mind… 
An attitude… 
A gut feeling… 

A notion we hold in our youth 
which we somehow lose 
as we pass into old age. 

When I was 16, 
I would cruise in excess of 
one hundred and twenty 
   miles per hour 
on tires rated that of ninety.
It was not stupidity which 
permitted me to cheat death. 
No. I came to accept I could be 
nothing less than immortal. 

Twenty stories high on the 
side of a concrete structure, 
I trusted my weight to a 
length of plastic garden rope. 
Lo but there, a certain 
gravity hung with me, 
but as I pulled myself up 
that straining rope, 
it wasn’t Saint Darwin 
watching over me. 
It was 
immortality. 

And you… 
What makes you 
so different from I? 
Was there not a time 
when you 
were immortal?
Wasn’t there? 

As an infant, there was an occasion 
when you learned to walk. 
Yes, and there was also that moment 
when a revelation struck that 
each fall towards the ground 
   ended in pain. 
As years passed you fell less and less. 
You grew numb to the notion. 
You passed into immortality, 
and yet here with the 
progression of each passing day, 
the notion of the fall 
comes creeping back. 

There comes a time 
when the site of a step ladder 
brings absolute horror. 

Lo, but we are old, 
fragile, and indeed, 
far too mortal.                               

Ó03 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: