Monday, June 15, 2020

  Just Now
Just now, attempting 
to slice the skin back 
from a small apple,
I find myself totally inept 
at spiraling the epidermis away
in one long helix.

Continuous failure
in short unrelenting segments.
Subtly unpleasant reminders of inadequacy.
Still, I persevere, full knowing
that my blade is dull, and that
having had a keener edge to start with
might have helped to prevail. 

Within this present endeavor, 
a childhood vision is 
released from memory.
Unveiled via the simple touch
of cutting edge to fruit.
There before me sits 
my Great Grandfather,
"Grandpa Jack," and there 
within his hands he holds an apple. 
Lo but by way of a concise 
flay via an ancient jackknife’s blade,
the skin uncoils in an unending strand
to trail down to the ground.
There upon his lips
a faint mischievous smile is present.
Note but such a 
magnificent accomplishment
has not gone without one child’s 
rapt appreciation.

Just now,
I can remember standing alongside him
as he serenely sits in the long back yard
of a home far away from home.
There, a warm Midwest sun baths us
in an angular light
as it arcs towards the horizon.

Grandpa Jack never 
seemed much for words
but rather communicated
through a wrinkling of eyes,
slight tilt of the head, 
or gesture of hand.
Just now, sitting there,
he directs my attention
to a mosquito that has chosen to 
settle upon his gray bristled forearm.
The long proboscis pierces the skin,
and yet Grandpa Jack does nothing 
but look from the small parasite 
over to me and back with that 
same mischievous smile upon his face.

There the mosquito has become
as transfixed as I at this moment,
yet while the insect's state
is due to his gorging on blood;
mine is in how I could ever 
possibly be standing next a man 
of such incredible mettle
as my   Great    Grandfather.

This was male bonding 
in the best possible way.

He now tenses his forearm ever so slightly
and with the proverbial twinkle in his eye,
nonchalantly brings his free hand over
and smears the mosquito
across the surface of his skin,
thus leaving to one small 
   child's amazement
a wet shellac of blood.

Childhood adulation grows 
from the strangest of seeds.

Just now (a later now), 
I sit watching television beside him
and a haze of dust
permits shafts of light to form
through the adjacent windows
and fall across a polished wooden floor.
A few years have past and 
I am older yet still that of a child.
A mere few years have past
and the man sitting beside me
is now simply acknowledged as that
which he is: 
an old man 
who happens to be 
that of a Great Grandfather.

What has been lost?
What separates that which we were
but a few years?
No. It is only I, the child,
that has established the separation.
A young boy's adulation 
has here now dissolved
before the inconvenience
of relating to the elderly.

The twinkle of the eye
does not catch my attention anymore.
The faint mischievous smile
does not communicate its kindred bond.
Words are all he has now
and because of his age,
their utterance comes 
as a muffled whisper.

What he has now 
is a communication requiring 
the effort of translation 
which one small boy 
is unwilling to make.
An effort, which
in comparison to the blare 
and pulsating images from 
the box across the room,
produces no benefit. 

There, just now he has spoken to me.
I turn to inquire as to what,
and again he repeats with a murmur
that remains unintelligible.
I struggle for a few seconds with
the required effort of this interaction,
and that of the television
which stands a short distance away.
Presently, from my lips 
comes the word, "yea."
There, a slight pause and then 
another question is directed toward me.
On the periphery of my vision
I can see the smile.
My response this time amounts to, 
"uh-huh," with a nod and 
then a few seconds later, "yea" again.

How is it possible that this same rapt boy
has become so indifferent?
Could it be that one of the questions 
he asked just now, required a 
response other than yes or no?
Is there not a chance
that I might have just been asked,
"So what did you do in school this week?"
or, "Where's your sister at today?"
and I, the true apple of his eye,
respond with the ultimate dismissive 
of    "yea,     uh-huh." 

There, just now, any return adulation
an old man feels towards a young boy
disintegrates and falls away, for 
there's no worse pain that can 
be inflicted upon the elderly
than to be      ignored. 

Would that I might hear at this moment
what he was saying to me that day.
Would that I had moved that much closer
and listened for one last insight
which was there forever lost
amidst the clatter of noise 
emitting from the box 
across the room. 

All I have is this moment just now,
as I look down to the ground to 
find that ants have set upon
the paring of apple skin 
I have just cut away.

There, just now,
they are devouring my past
as this memory 
devours my heart.

Ó95 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: