Tuesday, June 02, 2020

  The Gravity of my Infidelity
High above my head 
hangs the widow maker.
A long dead branch which one day
will succumb to the unending gravity
pulling it ever downward.
Dead, yet part of the living.
Living and yet… 
there it stands.

A Cottonwood tree
slowly shredding itself 
to death.
Hoping to take others with it.
Other trees.
Lesser animals.
Far lesser humans.

This particular tree is one of many.
Each creaking and swaying
under an immensity of cobalt blue.
Each tree reaching ever upwards
whilst across the ground beneath
lie shards of sun bleached predecessors
shinning white like dinosaur remains.

Here in the shade,
a pleasantly cool wind
flows through the Cottonwood's
dappled heavy leaves,
causing the multitude of 
green spades to click
and dully thud together
like a vast shimmering wind-chime.

I lie here,
enticed by the siren call.
Enticed, while 
far above my head
hangs the widow maker.

You know… 
I'd be safe
if I wasn't married.
I'd be safe
but oh… 
isn't it nice 
to feel the gravity?

Ó99 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: