Monday, June 29, 2020

  ...Sub-Nature Boy (V2)...

There was a boy. 
A very strange enchanted boy… 
whose magnitude and 
grace of inner beauty 
was counter-balanced
by a slight of 
external repugnance.

Yes, ugliness of such  
extreme visual slander, 
that we came to know him 
not as Joseph Carey Merrick, 
but as 
“The Elephant Man.” 

Such extreme visual slander… 
And just who was it that had 
unduly cursed Joseph Merrick? 

When you looked upon his face and 
physical countenance … 
A man of such   deformity 
that he was allowed to cry 
and yet physically
could not smile. 

A man of such 
repellent appearance 
that you can only hope 
the hand he’d been dealt 
was all genetics and not that 
of a ungracious god. 

A little shy 
and sad of eye, 
but very wise was he. 

Joseph Merrick could read, write 
and conceive poetry in a time 
of mass illiteracy. 
Indeed, most of those 
who laughed and jeered at him, 
would have see the word 
‘neurofibromatosis’
as pure un-cipherable 
hieroglyphic.  

And while we spoke of many things. 
Fools and kings. 

We observe ourselves 
in the mirror, 
and say,
“Look at how fat I am. 
Look there at 
the droop in my eyelids.  
Oh, if only I could get 
the shape of my nose redone. 
If only it could be made 
to turn up    ever so   at the end. 

Perhaps then, 
someone would find me attractive. 

Perhaps then,
I’d be worthy of love.” 

The greatest thing 
you’ll ever learn.

Yes indeed, 
you fools;
you freaks; 
you kings and queens. 

The greatest thing 
           you’ll ever learn.    

Ó05 Jack Hubbell


'Tis true, my form is something odd
but blaming me, is blaming God,
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

If I could reach from pole to pole
or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul.
The mind's the standard of the Man. 

A poem often quoted by 
                Joseph Carey Merrick

No comments: