Tuesday, June 23, 2020

  ...Lamplit Ill Lumination...

It's late at night
and sitting on the right side 
of an old Ford Capri,
I'm driving North toward 
Peterborough, England.
It's 1987, but the Capri dates 
from the mid-seventies
and has acquired a 
high maintenance temperament.

The current state of tantrums
seems to revolve around 
all things electrical.
On this night the Capri is in motion, 
and hurtling Northward
while unbeknownst to me, 
electrical decadence
has maintained its course 
towards nullification.

Out before me the dual beams 
of my headlamps do their best 
to illuminate a long expanse of asphalt
while the remainder 
of the English landscape
is lost to blackness.
It is a world unacknowledged 
by this midnight traveler.

The Capri surges ever forward
at a cool eighty miles an hour
whilst photons spring forward
from each headlamps element 
at the speed of light.
Eighty mile per hour 
plus the speed of light
and still these distant photons
die black deaths some 
two thousand feet further on.
All that I am allowed to see 
at this moment in time
is a continuous scrolling 
of asphalt and white lines.

And then, suddenly,
all is blackness.
At the speed of light,
   light is gone.
My 80-mph assist has 
proved to be meaningless.
If anything,
a mini-blackhole has been created
by the sudden collapse of photons.
My proof of this is the fact that
here now, in the sudden darkness,
80 mph has surely doubled in velocity.
I'm moving at high speed 
and can feel it,
but I can't see it.

Frantically I toggle the 
headlight switch on and off.
Nothing happens.
Desperate now, 
my hand moves to the dim switch
and switching it to bright, 
intense beams of light
once again erupt from my headlamps.
A sigh of relief passes from my lips
while at the same time,
I find myself thinking of all the drivers
who will emit profanities toward me
as I pass them on my 
continued way homeward.

My angst suddenly dissolves
as the twin beams of light 
fuse together and then 
fan outward in an 
amazing explosion of light.
By way of a sudden surge of current,
both headlamps have been 
transformed into giant flashbulbs.
Immense flashbulbs which for 
   one half second,
light up a mile distant arc 
of English countryside.

For that one-half second,
I can see a multitude of 
trees and distant farmhouses.
There above me,
the arc of light was mirrored upon 
the low hanging clouds
and then just as quickly, gone.

Holding the steering 
to a straight course,
I move my foot to the brake pedal,
There to begin a slow deceleration
through the blackness 
beyond the windshield.
Shortly the opaque darkness gives way
to a translucent variation
and I coast to the edge 
of the motorway's shoulder.

At a full stop, I reach forward 
to switch my engine off
which soon commences a 
series of random pops and clicks
as the engine begins its cool-down.
My dash lights begin their 
slow swell of illumination,
and I find myself pondering 
all those Britons lying awake in bed
or sitting in a dimly lit room 
watching late night tele.

Moments ago,
a massive surge of light
came in through their windows,
to freeze mid-yawn visages
and then abruptly 
transform them to 
looks of wide eyed wonder.

On this strange night,
some were visited by angels,
others by abducting aliens;
still others were caught 
mid-sexual stride
by paparazzi 
outside their windows.
Rising and stumbling towards
their respective windows,
this various assortment of Britons
rubs its multitude of eyes 
and pulls away curtains
to stare out into the 
blackness of East Anglia.

Somewhere 
out there amidst the dark
sits a very glum American
who has left a 
lasting impression
(however cryptic)
upon the dozy minions 
of England.

Ó2000 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: