Wednesday, April 29, 2020

  ...Darkly Defined...

The dog's barking.
It's late at night
and the dog
is at the end of the yard
barking at… the neighbors?
Perhaps not at the neighbors directly, 
though that doesn't mean 
they don't hear him.

Maybe he doesn't need
a reason to bark.
That is, nothing other
than the exhilaration
of being outside and hearing his 
vocal iterations reverberate
off distant structures.
Distant structures 
define him.

Right now,
there's a square box
at the end of the room
presently flashing images at me.
And though I’m not barking at it, 
this doesn’t mean it has 
failed to define me.

I step through the door in my bare feet
and head out towards the 
   sound of my dog.
There's no moon tonight
and as the light from
the living room fades away,
I find myself in 
deep pitch blackness.

My bare feet leave the harsh concrete
and the sensation of grass
overcomes me.
Would I have noticed 
the cool faint moistness
were it not for the void of dark?

No moon, but yet there are stars— 
   stars all about me.
Indeed, they glow beneath the 
soles of star-lost feet.

As my eyes adjust to the darkness,
I find myself striding cross 
a large patch of clover.
A patch of clover that's all in bloom.
All abloom and glowing beneath 
those distant stars above.

Who is "barking" now?
The stars?
   the clover?
or my dog?

Who and what is being defined 
at just this very moment?

I hear the rustling of 
branches and leaves
and just before me,
the dog comes trotting 
out of some bushes.

I stoop down,
scoop him up,
and quickly head back
towards the house.

I haven't time to think about this.

I must get back to the TV.

Otherwise,
I might pause
to stop

and bark.

Ó97 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: