Monday, April 15, 2019

   ...Slither...

That which does not kill you, 
   makes you. 
Makes you  what? 
Makes you  how?
Makes you      who?

Within this slapdash existence 
of potential mortality, and 
against all feasible odds, 
I have somehow managed 
   to persevere. 
I, fully aware of this and that 
and those and them proposed 
to mar and mangle 
this life I hold so dear. 

That which does not kill you. 
Does not maim you. 
Soon  mal-
   deforms you. 

Listen:
It is herewith simply assumed 
that I in body 
come complete.
That I’ve toes upon my feet. 
That my sense of sight is sound. 
That I can tell what’s up from down. 
That I can see what’s there on the ground. 
That my body veers to vacant 
from the horror I’ve there found. 

That that which renders fear adheres 
to sear my sheltered psyche. 
This is a state of mind 
and my mind is in a state. 

It slithers, and 
it slithers, and 
it slithers, slithers, slithers, 
for it’s said that I’ve 
a ball of snakes 
coiled ‘bout my 
basal ganglia. 

They say dead-center 
my primordial head 
you will therein find 
a reptilian brain. 
And they would have me 
here look inward, 
yet that which there 
returns my gaze, 
remains a viperine vision of which 
I dare not care to know. 


And though my higher mammalian mind 
would have me limbic limbo ‘neath 
a septic serpent’s stomach, 
it remains a synaptic swamp of which 
I do not care to visit. 

This feeding, 
this fighting, 
this fleeing, 
this fucking. 

‘F’ ALL that shit, for I will 
not consume the snake, no, 
will not combat that 
thing with tail and scale, 
and it and I most certainly won’t… 
   …come to copulate. 

Condom or no, I condemn it. 
That a snake wear a condom seems foolish. 
Indeed that anyone’s rancid reptile mind 
finds fetish in a snake found phallic 
be they damned. 
   Be they damned. 
      Be they cast from Eden damned. 

‘F’ and ‘F’ and ‘F’ and ‘F’. 
Unfettered of the letter, 
I would flee. I would fly. 
Would most surely have fled.
I now with tail here unfurled. 
I now with split-tongue set a sputter. 

And yet… 
And yet here I stand 
so lithe and lathed utter legless. 
Disarm alarmed and 
tube torso traumatic. 

Limbic sans limb and 
limb loss akimbo, 
I collapse upon ground, 
foot foiled and coiled catatonic. 

Now serpentine in body, 
sinuous bone next sinuous bone. 
Denied limb to amble yonder, 
I am lashed within this hither, 
for my reptile mind 
has thus decreed, 
its only option:   
slither.

Ó2019 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: