Saturday, May 16, 2020

  "Liver Lip"
Strange name for a dog.
I guess my dad had decided to call him this
because he had a big ol' sloppy mouth.
The dog; not my dad.

Allot of my earliest childhood memories
have to do with dog's mouths.
I suppose being a baby is all about mouths,
and what you can get into them.
Of course, this ranking 
at the top of child's
hierarchy of importance,
a dog's mouth would have 
to have been pretty impressive.
Especially Lip's.
When something out-drools you,
you tend to take notice.

Lip was a gun dog.
An English Pointer.
My father—an avid hunter—
was inordinately fond of
breeding, raising and training
gun dogs for sport.
These were working dogs.
Dogs with a purpose,
and yet, a dog's a dog.
They may have been a pack of 
keenly bred animals, 
specifically designed,
yet each was our pet.
Each equally appreciated 
a human's kind caress.
Some dogs were special though.
Some possessed such 
character and intelligence
as to make them stand apart.
Such was the like of Lip.

Now we're talking true intelligence here.
Not mere perceived intelligence.
Not circus poodle dancing in a tutu.
Lip was a thinking dog.
Of course there was one ‘circus trick’.
I had this aunt who was convinced
that Lip could tell his age
by barking it out in years.
She was duly impressed.
Little did she know 
but that Lip remained five years old
   every time she visited.

Lip always barked    five times.

No, Lip's true intelligence surfaced
by way of his ability to escape.
For years, it didn't matter what
cage my father put Lip in, 
but that he'd find a way to get out.
One year, my dad finally got 
Enough money set aside
that he could build a quality kennel
with full concrete floor
and a seven-foot chain link fence.
With this, we surely thought 
Lip's escape days were over.
But then it began again.

At first it was relatively simple.
Lip would climb to the top of his doghouse,
leap out to the top edge of the fence,
hang on, and climb over 
to drop to the ground.
No matter where you positioned the doghouse
within this pen, 
he could make the leap.

My father figured he could beat this 
by installing a length of fence 
over that portion of the kennel
beneath which the doghouse sat.
Indeed this worked for a while.
Weeks passed, and then suddenly,
Lip was getting out again.

We all had to scratch our heads at this.
My father would stand 
for long periods of time
waiting for Lip to make his move
and yet, the dog would simply lie there
atop his house and return the stare.
Some twenty minutes after 
my father would give up,
and Lip would be out again.

Finally, I came to the idea
that I would bust Lip's method by
making an long stealthy 
hike through the woods
to there come up upon Lip 
from the far distant direction.
Here, to spy upon him 
from behind an old shack.

It took some time, but presently,
Lip came out from inside his house,
climbed up to the top of it,
and there craned his head 
towards the family house
to see if anyone was watching.
Whilst doing this, 
his tail would wag
ever so slightly.
He was having fun.

Assured that no one was watching,
he looked up at the fence above his head,
and then raised up upon hind legs
to place his front paws 
on the mesh above.
He then worked his way to both
the edge of the house top below
and that of the fence above.
Shortly, both paws 
are on the outside edge
of the over-hanging fence, 
and a few seconds later
his hind legs leave the surface of roof.
Indeed, he's hanging mid-air 
from the fence wire.

His body contorts and presently,
one of his hind legs rises
to also catch the wire's outer rim.
With this, he heaves himself up
and loops around to stand atop
the span of fence.
I almost want to leap out
and commence to applaud and cheer.

Now, like a true circus performer,
he gingerly places
the pads of each paw across
the fence's wires
and makes his way
to the rim of the kennel
and drops the seven feet
to the ground.

After I watch him dash off into woods,
I stroll to the house
and proudly inform my father
of Lips achievement.
With this, my father drolly
rises from the kitchen table,
strides out to the kennels
and pushes Lip’s dog house
further under the overhanging wire
by a mere six inches.
Lip never again escaped a kennel.

A few years passed.
Both Lip and I aged.
I was still a young boy, 
but now, Lip was an old dog.
When my father called to Lip,
the old dog found it convenient not to listen,
and head off to whatever he was doing.

My father had heard
that all sophisticated dog handlers
were now using radio-controlled
shock collars to correct any
misconceptions a dog might have
as to who was in control.
Contrary to what you might be thinking,
these devices only administer a small
shock to the neck of the dog
and are far more humane
than the striking of a dog for correction.
Unfortunately, my father
could not afford one of these 
exotic radio-control shock-collars.
They went for well over 
   a thousand dollars.

One day my father came up with
the idea of making his 
own variation on this device.
He acquired an old Model T car battery,
and with a switch he dropped one wire
with a small weight to the ground
and the other end to an old dog collar.
This he eventually placed about Lip's neck.

Standing there now he called out to Lip
and told him to "come".

Lip ignored this and turned the other way.
May father dropped the weighted wire
to the ground and pressed the switch.
Lip yelped and all four feet 
came off the ground.

Apparently, this is where
he felt the voltage strike him.
My father called to Lip again
and with no reaction,
once more dropped 
the weight to the earth.
With a jolt, up came Lips feet.

I could not help but sadly think
as to just what was going 
through the dog's mind.
What was happening to him?
Why was the ground hurting him?

Again and again, 
my father pressed the switch.
Yes, I thought it was cruel.
Lip yelped and hopped across the yard 
Some seven or eight times 
until he came to stand
directly adjacent to
an old pickup truck we had
which had a running board
mounted at each door's entry.

My father shocked the old dog again,
and Lip ran over and jumped up 
onto that truck’s running board.
My father called to him to come yet again,
and there stood Lip ignoring him.
No wonder.
I'm sure his mind rather concerned 
with sensations rather more horrific.

My father drops the weight to the ground
and presses the switch.
Nothing happens.
He presses it again and still nothing.
The voltage cannot pass through
the rubber tires of the pickup truck.
Here Lip had won.
The dog had figured out
that the ground was hurting him
and he had to get up off of it.
True animal intelligence.

With this,
my father walked over to the truck
and placing the weighted wire against it,
pressed the switch
and sent Lip flying off the running board.
Having had enough, I turned
and walked to the house.

The next year
my father had to have ol' Liver Lip put down.

I seem to remember 
he spent that night
sitting in the kitchen 
with the lights out.

For some reason, this grown man
didn't want us to see the sorrow 
drawn across his face.

Ó99 Jack David Hubbell

No comments: