Thursday, July 25, 2019

 ...Mine Vine Mind...

A broken trellis. 
A sagging arbor. 
A bed of flowers 
   obliterated. 

My mind... 
   Yes. 
My mind is like a 
   ruined garden. 

Oh, it was beautiful once. 
Am I allowed to say that? 
Is that vain? 
Well, only if I portrayed it as 
   still beautiful, 
and as I’ve just told you, 
it most certainly 
is not. 
No matter. 
I’d still like to invite you in. 
Take you for a stroll. 

Having said that, 
our stroll won’t be an easy one. 
No. I now find orientation difficult. 
Quite lacking in direction, find it 
hard to trace a path that leads to 
concise and noteworthy mental locales. 
Yes, the terrain has become somewhat obtuse. 
Alas, but how the milkweed and 
kudzu have taken over. 
Now ever-clinging vines 
choke away thoughts and 
vast overgrowth obscures 
self-realization.
Indeed, I’m…  I’m… 
   I am 
   homogenized. 
There in my brain, 
a mass of woven weed prevails. 
And all such ruminations sprout tendrils. 
Tenacious roots which 
ease their way through 
soggy folds of cortex, 
and there penetrate 
soft and decadent cerebella. 

There… just over there, 
you would have once encountered 
a multitude of rose resplendent flora. 
Heavy, ripe and dripping sanguine, 
it draws you in and there beneath…
     something to repel; 
something to make you wary. 
Oh yes. 
Yes, at one time, 
I was contradiction personified. 
And now, as you pass your hands through 
the dense blanket of overgrowth, 
you come to 
wince and recoil as you encounter the 
pained memory of my 
  former self, 
for here now, 
only thorns remain.  

Rosebuds here are withered 
and forgotten. 
All this aromatic delight 
has fallen to garden floor to become 
one with the humus of fetid earth. 
Those that remain, 
remain dormant and un-bloomed. 
Their verdant green no different 
than all that leprous ivy 
and sumac. 

Yes, my mind is a 
hateful ugly place 
and knowing this, 
I imagine you wonder why 
I’ve have invited you in. 
But here… wait… 
Before you turn and go, 
indulge me this final moment, 
for I’ve one last thing to show you. 

Assuming we can navigate past 
all those stinging nettles, 
you’ll find it there, 
just at the back of my garden. 

It’s there… Just there. 
        Look. 
Thiswas once my garden shed. 

Inside you’ll find a rake; a hoe; 
    a scythe; a shovel. 
These and that wheelbarrow, 
    ill kept and rusted.  

And again, why? 
Why do I show you this? 
Well, you see, 
I have this favor to ask of you. 


Bearing in mind the inherent 
   thistle in my thought, you 
  havemade it this far. 
You’ve made it all the way to my shed 
and having seen my 
   fall from Eden, 
I would ask of you… 
   You who might soil your hands 
   for me…

Am I truly ruined, or 
in the slightest way, 
somehow worthy of  
your gracious and 
   most merciful 
   redemption?  

©06 Jack Hubbell

No comments: